Friday, October 10, 2008

October 10, 2008 Earworm



Longer than the landmarks that it conjures in my mind, "Driver's Seat" by Sniff 'n' The Tears still reminds me of night time journeys in someone else's car, usually speeding downtown on Baltimore's I-83, the Jones Falls Expressway, passing the soda distribution plant with its giant Suburban sign with it's iconic golfer forever trapped in mid-swing and a self satisfied grin and the London Fog factory, with it's creepy clock tower that always seemed to be waiting for a circle of bats. That clock tower terrified me as a child for reasons only a little boy could explain and that no one else would understand and I would bury my face in my coat as we approached the bend in the highway that would bring it into view.

By the time "Driver's Seat" was all over the airwaves, I would no longer need to cover my eyes, but I still found myself glancing at the tower anxiously, as if some unseen action by the Scooby Gang might cause my adolescent fears to come alive. But if my heart were still pounding, it was in anticipation of what was waiting for me downtown, where I-83 - my expressway to freedom - ended. And what was waiting for me would guarantee that I would never find myself forever trapped in mid-swing and a self satisfied grin.

Now, grab an Almond Smash, get in the driver's seat, and get the weekend started.

How's that, Kmatt? 'Been on JFX lately?

No comments: