Tuesday, October 7, 2008

October 07, 2008 Earworm


(pictured above: Otis Redding, Johnny Daye, Steve Cropper)

This is practically cheating but today's earworm is "What'll I Do For Satisfaction" by Johnny Daye. After listening to Janet's "What'll I Do" for the eleventy-hundreth time, I began playing Johnny's track almost as many times.

Johnny Daye was white soul singer from Pittsburgh with four singles under his belt - two on Johnny Nash's Jomad label and one on Philly's own Parkway - before being taken to Stax by Otis Redding in 1967. I've not had the pleasure of hearing his earlier cuts but I am hard pressed to imagine that they could be any better than what was found in the grooves of Stax 238 and 0004 (the follow-up, "Stay Baby Stay", which should have re-defined blue eyed soul).

Johnny Daye apparently retired from singing after 1968, most likely falling by the wayside at Stax after the death of Redding. In 2007, his vocals were featured on two songs on the solo album by former Jaggerz/Q member Robert Peckman, receiving much praise and hope for more material to come. Personally, I'd like to hear a duet with Lynda "What A Man" Lyndell...

No comments: