Thursday, August 7, 2008

August 07, 2008 Earworm


One day I'm doing laundry while listening to a Bert Berns collection and then another day I'm reading an email about P.F. Sloan and one thing leads to another and the two experiences meet up on Challenge single 59275. It's there that Yvonne Carroll followed up her P.F. Sloan/Steve Barri composed "Please Don't Go" with a cover of "A Little Bit of Soap", the Jarmels' hit composed by Bert Berns.

Having known that Jarmels single for nearly as long as I've been alive, I'm surprised to find that Yvonne's version has become my favorite over the past few years. There's a lot of pride in her delivery and the band's majesty is crowned with the horn flourishes.

Props must be given to Bert Berns for a composition that can handle such disparate arrangements that includes a Nigel Olsen cover and, of course, for gracefully making room for all five syllables of the word "e-ven-tu-al-ly".

I don't know much about Yvonne Carroll and haven't been able to locate a photograph of her but it's been said that she never made a bad record and, from the few that I've heard, I tend to agree.

No comments: