Friday, October 24, 2008

October 24, 2008 Earworm



The Clique came from Austin, Texas, and were brought to the attention of the White Whale Records owners via a lawyer who happened to have an office in the same building. Under the production wing of sunshine-Meister Gary Zekley, they released a cover of Tommy James and The Shondells' "Sugar On Sunday", neither improving upon nor detracting from an already perfect album track. It must have done well in the Baltimore area because it was a 45 that I would see in the collection of every friend's parents, and my own. Already familiar with The Shondells' version, I took more of a shine to the flipside as most little boys encountering a song called "Superman" will.

Why this adenoidal treasure was relegated to b-side status at the height of the nasal propelled yummyyummyyummychewychewy era is a mystery but the song, if not the band, would be given its chance to fly with a cover by REM that neither improved upon nor detracted from the original. That it did not inspire me to tie a towel around my neck should not be held against it as I'd simply found other means of elevation by that time.

Have a super weekend.

No comments: