Monday, October 20, 2008

October 20, 2008 Earworm



With the horrible news of the passing of Levi Stubbs on Friday, I was again in the position to pick one record to define a man whose voice was not easily categorized. Listening to Four Tops albums while slogging over a work project certainly makes the work go faster but did little to help find "the" song.

Giving in to temptation, I threw the laptop aside to run down to the Little Five Points Halloween Parade to catch a glimpse of the festivities. There, I found my answer as a marching band from a local high school came storming down the street with a brassy rendition of "Reach Out I'll Be There". Of course.

Even a brass section can not equal the ferocity of Levi Stubbs' voice, yet the message was loud and clear: as long as there is something to play back music, that voice remains available to see you through. No need to look over your shoulder; just reach out and press play.

No comments: