Friday, September 26, 2008

September 26, 2008 Earworm



While I'm having trouble believing in magic, Secession found enlightenment from a trick of "The Magician" and the result often led me to nirvana on various Baltimore dance floors. "The Magician" was the second record by this rather obscure Scottish dance act, the first being the decidedly different sounding "Touch (part 3)" from '84, to enter my 12 inch single hall of fame.

In their five years of existence they released only one album and eight singles, half of which I never knew existed. Until yesterday I had always assumed that they were a producer driven studio creation but it turns out that they were very much a real band consisting of consisted of Carole L. Branston, Charlie D. Kelly, J.L. Seenan, and fronted by primary songwriter Peter Thomson.

After Secession separated in 1988, Charlie Kelly and James Seenan joined The Vaselines, of which Charlie's brother, Eugene, was a founding member. The Vaselines, of course, reached their largest level of modest fame after being cited by Kurt Cobain as a major influence. I've no idea what happend to Carole Branston but it's been reported that Peter Thompson died sometime in the nineties. It's also been suggested that he is this guy: http://www.compassgallery.co.uk/cg-exhibitions-7.htm .
Regardless, this record has shown me the way and I am counting on it to get me to the top end of this day and on to the weekend.

No comments: