Tuesday, September 9, 2008

September 09, 2008 Earworm



As recipients of my countless compilations can confirm, Blancmange's "Game Above My Head" has stayed high on my hit parade for twenty-five years. When I first discovered it, in an extended version on the flip side of the "Waves" twelve inch, I took it as another tale of the shock of finding yourself in love and not quite believing the dialog of seduction. But the arrival of "Mange Tout", the band's second album, presented an abbreviated mix sandwiched between "Don't Tell Me" and "Blind Vision" that highlighted a consistent lyrical theme of searching for some kind of truth amongst the din. That, and frequent references to being elevated in some manner made my draw drop one day as it occurred to me that I could easily imagine the words found in "Game Above My Head" coming from the mouth of a pissed off Jesus as he sees just how skewed his message has become in the minds of so many.

Or it's just a great, moody pop song by two guys who's use of guyliner in the 80's rivaled my own. And one of them was really cute...

No comments: