Monday, September 8, 2008

September 08, 2008 Earworm



Bessie Banks had a long career that never quite reached the peak that those that know of her feel she was due. In fact, her biggest claim to fame may be as another Red Bird/Blue Cat victim - along with Evie Sands - who had her best moments swiped out from under her by British Invaders. In Bessie's case, The Moody Blues went with "Go Now" and launched a career that many wish had never happened. As their cover climbed the UK chart and received a US release, her label re-released the original here in the states but it was too late.

Maybe if they had flipped the record over for the throbbing "It Sounds Like My Baby", things would have been a whole lot different. If "Go Now" is the brush off, "It Sounds Like My Baby" is the come on, and the aching has relocated somewhere decidedly south of the waistline. From the sound of it, Baby has no idea of what is about to corner him, but I'm pretty sure he's going to enjoy it.

Bessie would find some success in the seventies and time has proven her victorious in the cover wars, abetted by legions of record geeks who have added a preamble to either side of this 45: "Yes, but have you ever heard this?"


*fun fact*

After mentioning my love of "It Sounds Like My Baby" on Spectropop, I got a message from Al Kooper telling me that he played piano on the demo.

No comments: