Thursday, July 24, 2008

July 24, 2008 Earworm


Another PF Sloan composition that made its way to Vee Jay in 1964 is "Can I Get To Know You", in a dreamy arrangement that tips its hat to Barbara Lewis, that was relegated to b-side of Betty Everett's take on Goffin-King's "I Can't Hear You". Neither side of this spectacular 45 did much to disturb the charts; the a-side topped out at #66 that summer while "Can I Get To Know You" had to wait two years to chart when it got the word "Better" added to its title and a typically Turtles re-vamp and topped out at #86.

Betty Everett would score her biggest hit on her next release, "Let It Be Me", a duet with Jerry Butler. The Turtles would follow up their version of "Can I Get To Know You (Better)" with their own biggest hit, "Happy Together", so perhaps there is more charm to this song than what you can hear.

Betty's version of "Can I Get To Know You" can also be found on Castle Pulse's "Chapel of Love: Girl Group Gems"

No comments: