Thursday, February 28, 2008

February 28, 2008 Earworm



Is it just me or did Natalie Merchant always seem to have her head up her own ass? Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against her. In fact, I have just about every album she's released, solo or with 10,000 Maniacs. Still, there's a level of self absorption with that girl so high that she should have wings and an adhesive strip.

"Trouble Me" is my favorite Maniacs record and yet it only backs up my point. Natalie begs for communication, to be informed of someone's concerns, while a nice little guitar lick provides little pokes; the musical equivalent of "Quick, think of something or she'll never shut up!". Then, in the second verse, she describes the storm she fears that is building behind the calm that they are experiencing. Though the guy is probably just enjoying the silence or wondering when the new Victoria's Secret catalogue would be arriving but, since it doesn't involve Natalie, there's obviously a problem.

As pretty as the song is, and as much as I love it, Natalie's final line, "Trust is what I'm offering - if you trouble me", only makes me wonder what it is, exactly, that she's up to.

No comments: