Tuesday, February 26, 2008

February 26, 2008 Earworm



Speaking of Chris Isaak, his appeal - other than sex - can be summed up with his lyrics to "This Love Will Last": "If I had to tell you now the way I feel about you, I'd say nothing. 'Cause when I try to tell you how I feel you know I only end up cryin'."

He's always in need of a hug, a "buck up, buddy" slug on the arm, and these actions are usually accompanied by thoughts like, "Hmmm, would now be a bad time to touch him in a special way". Anyone who has the pleasure of seeing him perform live or his appearances on tv know that he possesses a devastating wit but when he's singing, he's so achingly vulnerable that you can't help but melt a little. That's he so uniquely beautiful only heightens the senses and then the music provides the money shot.

At one time in my life a drunken room mate and I meticulously stapled a stack of flats from Chris' second album on one wall of our shared room - she chose Charlie Sexton for her side - and we would go to sleep to the sound of Chris crooning in our ear, providing fodder for the sweetest of dreams that we would share in the morning. We weren't all that surprised to learn that "This Love Will Last" was the usual soundtrack and that both of us always ended up on top.

No comments: