Tuesday, July 29, 2008

July 29, 2008 Earworm


For most, it's the harmonies; for me, it's all about the guitar. I'm not sure what that says about me since the harmonies offer romance so alluring that well lit silk sheets come to my mind, while the guitar is sexual coercion, opening the record with a pants dropping moment that would make Senator Kennedy proud. Maybe it's a perfect example of how differently men and women view the goal of seduction. In the end, it probably doesn't matter much: when you consider how busy things get and how little is said during the records final minute, it's safe to assume that every need is met.

Bones Howe's arrangement and production is as impeccable as always, showering our ears with pop through the soft focus of California sun and Dick and Don Addrisi's composition is miles away from their sophomoric date night ode to "Cherrystone", but one listen to The 5th Dimension's plodding version of this same song, again with Bones Howe in charge, proves that the warmth of "Never My Love" radiates from the mouths of boys in The Association.

But before we get too warm and fuzzy, consider that one verse ends with "with me" and the other with "on you"... I'm pretty sure that the guitar had plans from the very start.

'Sorry, Pat...

No comments: