Tuesday, June 9, 2009

May 08 & 09 Earworm


The last few days have been a total drag. Friday night brought a plague-like summer cold that slapped me into fourteen hours of sleep followed by mountains of crumpled tissues and the realization that over two hundred channels does not guarantee a steady stream of good movies. By Sunday night, I was sick of being sick and sore from coughing, sneezing, and lying about and that's when Dan began to cough...

Monday morning brought a realization that my computer is not well either and I'm still not sure of its ailment but, as of Tuesday, I'm sick of diagnostics. Maybe tomorrow... Nope, that won't happen because I'm taking puppy to finishing school for a few weeks and that makes my heart sick.

So, waaa, waaa, waaa.

The flip side turned out to be the a-side and, while myself crazy checking and re-checking cables, I accidentally played the wrong cd and the "Wanted! Young Man, Single, And Free" came screaming out of the speakers. Friends, I can not tell you just how high a man can jump when that comes at him unexpectedly. Even more impressive is just quickly a man recover, grap Mr. Microphone, and make a fool of himself. Lesson learned: if your wig is bigger than the pillow you use for crying, get a new bed because somethings aren't worth the headache. Thank heavens for The Honey Cone and "Want Ads".

Going hand and hand with "Want Ads" is "Somebody's Been Sleeping" by 100 Proof Aged In Soul and its fairy tale turned adulterous paranoia. Both tracks came from the pen of Norman Johnson, Barney Perkins, and Greg Perry, who also produced them under the guidance of the Motown free Holland-Dozier-Holland. Both also include performances from lesser known siblings of better known stars: in the case of The Honey Cone, Darlene Love's baby sister, Edna Wright, and Levi Stubbs' brother Joe, formerly of the Contours, led 100 Proof. Most importantly, both records sat in that holy stack of vinyl that belonged to my parents when I was a kid, still keep vigil in my own stacks, and I doubt that I'll ever be sick of either one.

No comments: