Monday, June 1, 2009

June 01, 2009 Earworm



I am so impressed with Mandy Moore's "Amanda Leigh" album that I can't spotlight just one track, so I'll present the 70's AM gold that is the first single, "I Can Break Your Heart Any Day Of The Week" and "Fern Dell", a song that I'm having such a hard time getting my head around that I can only say "Simon & Garfunkel and Nilsson on Broadway" and know that I'm not even close to nailing down what I'm hearing. "Amanda Leigh" brings proof that the further Mandy Moore drifts from the mainstream, brighter burns the fire that allowed her to noticeably melt the edges of even the worst cheese her career endured. The guidance of producer and main co-writer Mike Viola (Candy Butchers) allows her to come up from under the gloss and dross of her Epic albums, the heavy hand that often hampered the heaviness of "Wild Hope", and, most importantly, lets the songs leave their mark without stating that they are making a statement.

The most impressive thing about "Amanda Leigh" is not that it is impressive for a Mandy Moore album. It's simply impressive: no caveat is necessary. That's not to say there isn't room for growth but the leaps that have been taken suggest that there is bound to be more.

Now, what's up with the video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsCr9TJ84EE

No comments: