Monday, March 16, 2009

March 16, 2009 Earworm



During the months between "Just Like Honey" and "Some Candy Talking", my life had undergone a substantial change, going from criminally under-employed to juggling two jobs. With the lack of free time, one could assume that there was little opportunity for trouble and frivolity but when one job is done in a nightclub and the other is done in what seemed to many to be an overstaffed front for drug sales, it's not hard to wander. And with an ever growing cast of characters, there was no shortage of instigators.

Kenny and I could blow the rent money with just one visit to Howie's Music Machine which is exactly what we did on the magical week that the new Jesus and Mary Chain and the new Blow Monkeys singles arrived. Excitedly dragging Linda to her car, we rode out to Owings Mills, bitching and moaning until our respective medications kicked in, and spent a few hours and hundreds digging through the stacks. With no disrespect meant, I can say that I do not recall anything purchased that day beyond our intended targets.

After refreshing our medication for the ride home, we decided to call Jake, then manager of the Depot, and bribe him with a free McDonald's lunch to come to the club early and let us in; our goal being the dj booth and maximum volume. Upon arrival, pleasantries were exchanged, cigarettes were lit and, because it was five o'clock somewhere, cocktails were mixed as I uncovered the sound system. As I carefully placed the object of so much anticipation and speculation on the turntable, Kenny handed me my drink and said, "Have a seat, Missy", and I, focused on only one thing, did as told, not bothering with my usual response of "Don't call me Missy".

Even if I heard "Some Candy Talking" being played from two doors down, to this day my ears would still hurt from the flashback to the volume at which I first heard it that day. My stomach still flips a bit when I hear those opening notes and I can still see Jake frantically slapping Kenny's unfamiliar fingers away from the soundboard, trying to pull the noise down to a level safe for the ears of neighborhood dogs as Linda clings to the edge of the bar, trying to stay standing as she wipes tears of laughter from her face. And as the song fades out, I can still hear an exchange that would become all too familiar:
Jake: You three should not be allowed out
Linda: Nuh uh
Kenny: Fuck you, Jake
Larry: < shrug >

As this Depot reunion grows closer, the absence of my bookends becomes more and more apparent. It does not diminish my excitement but it does make realize that, no matter how full the place gets, it won't be full enough for me.

No comments: