Thursday, February 19, 2009

February 19, 2008 Earworm



As Morrissey sang himself into the chorus of "Something Is Squeezing My Skull", the first track of his latest, "Years Of Refusal", I picked up my jaw long enough to ask myself, "Where did he get that voice?" A minute later he told me and the answer made me laugh. I'm still laughing three days later as different pieces of the lyric creep forward to take a bow - my current favorite being "The motion of taxis now excites me; will you peel it back and bite me".

I'm also amused by the sudden butch persona our formerly fey hero has on display. The cover of "Years of Refusal" shows Morrissey looking far more buff than we'd expect, the buttons of his shirt straining slightly, while he holds a small child: Morrissey is now a Daddy! His current band pumps up the muscle to the point that I'm now anxiously awaiting the possibility of a duet with Rob Halford.

Morrissey has officially become this charming Man so, should you find yourself unsaddled by a punctured bicycle, you may want to think carefully about getting into his taxi.

No comments: