Wednesday, March 19, 2008

March 19, 2008 Earworm




Stella Parton never had the cross-over success of her big sister, Dolly, but she had a string of country hits in the late seventies that served her just fine. On a trip to rural Ohio in 1978, I was handed a stack of forty-fives that my hosts had pulled from a local jukebox. My two half sisters had been given the first and second pick so there was little left that interested me other than Stella's "Standard Lie Number One" - a title that I loved even more than discovering an unknown Parton.

"Standard Lie Number One" is little more than a list of all the crap Stella's man tells her in an attempt to cover up his dirty deeds. Working late, ran into an old friend; they are all present and accounted for as is "he whispers that he loves me - standard lie number one", a killer line if I've heard one. But it gets even better when she begins to rattle off all the even more damaging lies that she tells herself, topping it off with "that he really loves me...".

Yes, there's enough corn in the whole thing to make syrup but it's sweet in its own way. I really love it. No lie.

No comments: