Friday, February 8, 2008

February 8, 2008 Earworm



There is a commercial for a dance compilation that pops up continuously on the Logo network. It's obnoxiously loud and its contents remind me of why I lost interest in club music sometime around the early nineties. There are, however, a few snippets that take me back with a smile on my face and one hand in the air - the other hand holding a smart and fashionable cocktail, of course. Ce Ce Penniston's "Finally" is one of those tracks, which surprises me since I've not played it in years.

A rarity in club music, "Finally" actually has a lyric that tells a story. Ce Ce walks us through all her romantic false starts in a sweet street girl voice before growling a ferocious "Finally" and then babbling about what's happened as though she's still recovering from a throw down of the finest order.

I know nothing about what's become of Ce Ce Penniston but I hope that she's still feeling that rush.

Have a great weekend.

No comments: