Tuesday, February 19, 2008

February 19, 2008 Earworm



Today seems designed for interference: my computer is being spiteful, my printer is spewing gibberish, the cell phone won't shut up, etc. Thankfully, the song I've got running through my head is "Can't Trust The Waves" by Kitchens of Distinction, the sadly under-appreciated foot soldiers of the shoegazing movement.

The Kitchens fought plenty of their own battles: the outcry over "Margaret's Injection", a fun little fantasy on the outcome of Thatcher that makes Morrissey's "Margaret On The Guillotine" sound like an invitation to lunch; the homophobia of the indie sector toward lead singer/lyricist Patrick Wilson, who was matter of fact about "it" without any coy winks, discussions of tea, or sloganeering; label interference.

Ultimately, it would be the latter that would bring an end to the band and, sadly, their name is seldom mentioned when discussing the era they helped to define even though they managed to get more US airplay than any of the bands that are usually touted as the definition of shoegaze.

So, if the day continues with this technologically challenged theme, I'll keep singing, "I can't trust the waves to float me, I can't trust the moon that shines on you. But when I'm with you, I am the ocean. And when I'm with you, I've come home.", until I make it safely back to my bed.

"Can't Trust The Waves" can be found on the recently re-issued "Death of Cool" and there's a nifty little compilation as well: "Capsule: The best of KOD 1988-1996"

No comments: