Thursday, January 24, 2008

January 24 2008 Earworm

I woke up with Sia's "Day Too Soon" spinning in my head today. It's easy to dismiss as a silly little love song but a closer look at the first verse shows a very realistic view of the expectations any one may have on a savior:

"Pick me up in your arms, carry me away from harm - you're never gonna put me down.
I know you're just one good man, you'll tire before we see land - you're never gonna put me down"

Such frank observations are usually reserved for the end of a song and delivered with malice but not here. Sia recognizes the fallibility of putting all your eggs in one basket and then asking someone else to carry it, but she does it anyway, trusting that the best that can be done will be done.

Being home alone, I played this repeatedly while getting my day started. And then I accidentally punched a dog in the nose. I hope that she was listening to those lyrics...

No comments: