Tuesday, January 15, 2008

January 15, 2008 Earworm

There's a chunk of funk in the guitar picking intro to Danielle Dax's "Big Hollow Man" that suggests that you're about to enter Muscle Shoals territory but then all hell breaks loose with a short hair curling wail that could be what the Chipmunks sound like when on acid. A tale of money changing hypocrisy "with a fist full of sham", it's been on my mind a lot lately as I watch the corporate politics around me unfold. As every bad decision is made, it's followed with an assurance that the actions taken are "in everyone's best interest" by a leader so lacking in charisma and completely void of sincerity that "his flock" refuses to drink the Kool-Aid, nods in acknowledgment, and walks away thinking, "What a yutz!"

"Big Hollow Man" came roaring back into my head this morning when I turned on the tv and saw Newt Gingrich offering his wise words on the changes needed for the nation's best interest. This was followed by another insightful discussion about Tom Cruise's position within the church of scientology.

A fist full of sham, indeed.

Meanwhile, Danielle Dax is turning fifty this year and is now an interior designer. That tidbit makes feel a little bit older than I'd like yet gives me much needed faith in second acts.

No comments: